Saturday 10 January 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to everybody! A little late, I know, but better late than never. The Christmas and New Year hostilities are finally over and life is slowly returning back to something resembling normal.

One thing I have realized in the last couple of weeks is just how much of a 15mm/6mm gamer I am. Santa left two boxes of Victrix 1804 French infantry. Beautiful 28mm figures, and quite fun to put together, creating different poses. But painting?...... I really hate painting 28mm figures. Seriously, I find it much, much more difficult than the smaller scales. There's too much detail, and mistakes are easier to make. And there is definitely a tendency among 28mm gamers to emphasize the modelling aspects of the hobby. I've looked at videos on Youtube and read blog articles about how to paint 28mm figures. They all assume you want to get that 'Games Workshop' art standard. They cover shading, highlights, and how to bring out tiny details on every figure to create a perfect work of art. Look at the pics of Victrix' figures on Google. Beautiful, but more dioramas than games figures. I don't want a diorama, I want an army to game with. I have neither the patience nor the ability to paint figures to this kind of standard. (So no photos this time.) Nor do I have the time. After painting 3 figures, I went and painted a regiment of 6mm French AWI infantry (48 figures) as relief. So much easier!

Regarding 28mm figures, I'm at one with Pete Berry's rant on the Baccus website. The current fashion for gorgeously painted miniatures is relatively recent. If you look back at photos of games from the 1970's or early 1980's, the painting standard is not brilliant, but it is acceptable. It's a standard that anyone can aspire to. I look at what appears to be expected, and move on to the smaller scales. I'll keep on trying to paint them - the figures are lovely, it must be said - but I can honestly say that it'll likely be the last 28mm purchase I make. After this, back to the little guys. Small is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment